For the first time since 2009, Virginia has released a new ID format. The new ID format is designed to have excess security features in an effort to prevent counterfeiting and ID fraud.
New Design Features
The new Virginia ID was designed not only to embed additional layers of security, but also to show off Virginia’s unique artistic expression. Some of the new design features include:
- An interior view of the state capitol’s rotunda dome
- Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterflies – Virginia’s official insect and a favorite of locals
- The American Dogwood – the Virginia state flower
Features Remaining from the Previous ID Format
While new features are always beneficial, Virginians need not worry too much about the change. Several existing features that locals have come to know have been carried into the new ID format as well, including:
- Banner colors for easy recognition
- Blue – for driver’s licenses
- Green – for ID cards
- Driver’s licenses and ID cards issued to anyone under 21 will remain vertical for easy distinction
- REAL IDs will still have a black circle/star cutout
All IDs currently in rotation will remain valid until the expiration date listed on the ID. Upon such date, individuals who apply for a new card, or renew/replace their existing one will be issued a card with the new ID format.