There are few things worse than leaving your house without your wallet. With more than 30 states taking steps to implement digital driver’s licenses (mDLs) accessible from your smartphone, the hassle of forgetting your license will soon be a thing of the past. But In order to verify and store your identity digitally, you must have an app on your smartphone.
While some apps are state-sponsored, others rely on Apple iOS’s built-in Wallet app.
Apple Wallet/Apple watch
Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Utah, and New York use Apple Wallet to store their mDLs.
To use the Apple Wallet app, you need an iPhone 8 or newer, and an Apple Watch Series 4 or newer. You must also have the latest iOS versions downloaded for both your phone and your watch, two-factor authentication must be on, and you must be signed in with your Apple ID with your location set.
During the setup process, you will be prompted to follow these steps:
- Scan you physical driver’s license or state ID card
- Take a selfie
- Complete a series of facial and head movements
After you’ve downloaded the app and set up your account, the issuing state will verify the ID. Once the ID has been verified, it will be added to your Apple Wallet.
Several states offer their own apps to store your digital ID.
Arizona, Delaware, Oklahoma, and Mississippi use the same app, mID.
To install mID for these states:
- Download and launch the app from the Apple app store or Google Play.
- Register your phone number.
- Scan your ID.
- Take a selfie.
- Set up security, and you’re good to go!
Louisiana and Colorado have developed their own apps. The process for setting-up your mDL differs depending on the state.
- Louisiana: Download the LA Wallet app from google play or apple.
- Sign in or create an account.
- Select “Add License”
- Enter your license information and select “Add License” again.
- The state auto-populates a photo of the front and back of your driver’s license
- Vaccine cards can also be stored in the LA Wallet app
- Colorado: myColorado is the state of Colorado’s official mobile app. It is currently not compatible with other electronic wallets, including but not limited to Apple, Google, and Samsung.
- Download the myColorado app from the iPhone app store or Google Play Store.
- Create an account and give myColorado access to your camera.
- Scan the back of your Colorado driver license or state ID.
- Create a username and password.
- Enable Touch/Face ID to log in quickly.
- Tap Login and enter your username and password. Allow notifications to stay up-to-date.
- To create your Colorado Digital ID, tap CO Digital ID.
While it’s still too early to leave your physical ID at home, the trend toward mDLs is ramping up, along with all things digital and remote. Preparing for the inevitability of mDLs is critical and includes the ability to scan any state ID, digital or physical. Contact one of our experts to ensure your business is ready for the wave of mobile IDs.